‘Fatal mistake’: ABC broadcaster’s ‘misogynistic’ news coverage of the Bali bombings

AUSTRALIA’S ABC has been criticised for its “misogynist” coverage of Bali, which included a call for the death penalty for the bombers.

Key points:The ABC is accused of being “a platform for misogynistic content”The network has apologised to its viewers and said it will not be covering Bali “in the same way” againThe ABC says it has taken “significant steps” to “clean up” its imageAfter a two-year investigation, the ABC has apologised for a “misleading and inappropriate” piece on the Balleys’ murder trial that ran on Saturday morning.

It said it had taken “very significant steps” over the past year to “make sure that we are able to reflect the nuanced views of Australians, not the views of some of our audiences”.

In the piece, ABC journalist John Ridsdel said the Balays had “no right to be alive”.

“Bali is a place where you can walk through the streets with your children and no-one is going to judge you,” he said.

“But they have no right to live.””

The ABC apologised to viewers and told them the article would not be running again.””

But they have no right to live.”

The ABC apologised to viewers and told them the article would not be running again.

“Our apologies to the Bileys and to our viewers, and to all Australians who are watching us on our television screens,” the network said in a statement.

“We want to apologise to everyone who has felt uncomfortable or offended by this article, and we are committed to addressing this issue and moving forward.”

It said the article had been removed from its website and its Facebook page.

The ABC’s “misguided and offensive” Balleying coverage has been described as “misandry”.

It was published after the Bairys’ case was referred to the Victorian Coroner’s Court.

Mr Ridsden said the coverage made him “want to cry” and he was “pained and upset” by the suggestion of the murder charges.

“I was outraged by the idea that this is the way the world is going,” he told ABC News.

“It is absolutely appalling and it is misogynistic, misogynist and misogynistic.”

Mr Ridesden has apologised on social media.

“In retrospect I wish I could say this wasn’t the way it was, but I have no regrets about it,” he wrote on Facebook.

“The ABC has made a mistake, and I have taken significant steps to clean up the way we do journalism and how we treat people, and that is where we will continue.”ABC national affairs reporter Jennifer Anderton said it was “deeply disappointing” the ABC’s coverage of a Bali court case had “misrepresented the views” of its audience.

“That sort of behaviour should never be acceptable on our national broadcaster,” she said.”[The] ABC is a platform for misogyny, and it has been for a while.

It is deeply disappointing that we see this kind of behaviour and this kind the kind of tone of the ABC, this kind, in its coverage of this case.”

Ms Anderland said the ABC had taken the “most important step” in years to “correct” its coverage.

“As a result of the investigation we have been making very clear that we will no longer be airing this story,” she told ABC Radio National.

Topics:crime,law-crime-and-justice,community-and‐society,bali,crime,police,community,terrorism,community‑and-society-and­politics,victoria-4570,vic,australiaFirst posted April 06, 2020 16:10:22Contact Ashley LyleMore stories from Victoria